Monday, February 19, 2007

Our friendly "rooster"

Well, Franco and I were woken up with a call at 6:40am this morning... thank you Michael! ;)

Michael is officially done his tour!! He will still be on base in Afghanistan until the 27th of this month I believe, then he'll have a day in Dubai, 4 days in Cyprus and then a few more in Petawawa. And THEN he gets to come home! He sounds great... he said there hadn't been too much fighting the last couple weeks but that a suicide bomber attacked their convoy the other day. Nobody was injured other than the bomber but I can imagine that would be a little unsettling.

He is definitely looking forward to coming home and is already planning his party :) We can't wait for him to come home! I've been in touch with our mayor's office in the hopes of doing something to honour all of our local troops who will be returning from Afghanistan. Something as simple as encouraging local businesses and residents to hang yellow flags outside their homes, places of business, etc. is a great way to thank our troops and show them our support. They thought it was a wonderful idea and promised to be in touch. My dad and I were able think of 10 local men who will be returning and there may be a few more (seems a little strange to refer to my little brother as a man).

Franco and I have booked our 2-week trip to Africa! We will be going to Kampala which is the capital city of Uganda. We leave on March 24th and arrive back home on April 6. We are so excited to go! My friend Gwanire and her husband will hopefully be able to meet up with us on our return trip as we have an overnight layover in London England.

David is coming home tomorrow! He's flying with a one-way ticket (which is making my mom a little suspicious) and plans on being here for about a month, seeing Mike and then driving back with Gillian when she returns home (we still don't know if or when she's coming home) so it wil be great to see him. He's not the best at communication so we haven't seen David or really even talked to him that much since he moved to BC in October.

So, I guess that's it for now!

No comments: