Friday, September 2, 2005

Distant??

Well...I've had some pressure put on me lately to post (won't mention any names...), so, I guess I'll just share a little bit about what's been going on in this brain of mine recently...

I am realizing more than ever how important it is to share the things that we go through with those amazing friends that God has blessed us with. Here's why..the enemy works so hard at convincing us that we're the only ones struggling, the only ones having a hard time, etc. so that he could isolate us and leave us more open for his many "subtle" attacks. This is such an old trick of his and yet time and time again we fall into that trap until God lovingly reminds us - in many ways - of how important the body of Christ is to our daily walk. So, I've had the wonderful opportunity to share with my friends recently about what I've been going through - and guess what? I'm not alone!

Lately I've felt as though God was distant...not that He had left me, or that He didn't love me anymore...nothing like that. I just felt a distance from Him...and I couldn't figure out why. So of course my analytical brain starts trying to figure it out...am I doing something that I shouldn't? Am I not doing something that I should be? Should I be pressing in more? Should I be patient and "wait on the Lord"? And so, unfortunately, I became somewhat complacent and almost lazy in my time with God. I was still going to church, still praying throughout the day...all those things didn't change...but I almost felt as though I had given up in a way because I felt like my efforts were in vain. I was also having a hard time asking God for forgiveness..because even though I desired His forgivenes and I believe that as Christians that's part of our inheritance, I just didn't FEEL like I was forgiven because I didn't feel like I was grieving or had sorrow for my sin. So it was just this big nasty circle that I kept going around and around...

In sharing with friends, I've been reminded that there are seasons that God will take a step back - not that He will ever leave us or forsake us - but just take a step back so that He can see just how serious we are about pursuing Him (or there may be a million other reasons...this is just one). And it seems as though almost everyone that I've talked to is going through the same thing. And so for those of you out there who may be struggling with similar thoughts or feelings...here are some truths...God will never leave us or forsake us. His love is never-ending and unchanging. Our feelings are not the final truth - God's word is.

Some final thoughts...when it becomes obvious that a large majority - if not all - of the body of Christ is going through the same or very similar struggles/battles, my opinion is that God is up to something good! Not only does He have purpose in everything He does...but everything He does is for our protection, our provision and our blessing. We know that He has already won the victory and that as His children - that is part of our inheritance! So be encouraged to press on...push through...PRAY HARD (on your own but also with and for other people)...and pull together!!

3 comments:

Smat said...

Yayyyyy!!! a post from D! I know what you mean about sharing things with close friends, and I am realizing more and more how important it is. Another reason we shy away from it, is because we are afraid of what people with think of us, or that we will be judged... "Shame on you, a person in leadership and you aren't spending time with God!"....
Seems almost everyone is on the same page in this area of our lives.... God is definitely up to something!

Heather said...

That is awesome for you to share all of that Dana. I think Tams hit it right on as well when sometimes we're afraid because other's may judge us. I've been kind of feeling something similar where if i've sinned in a certain area I don't even feel bad, but then I feel bad because I feel like I should feel bad. Know what I mean? Plus I think "the body" needs to be there for each other no matter what because we will all fail one day and, at that point, is when we will need their hand the most.

Dana said...

See what I mean about having great friends??!! :)