Sunday, March 6, 2005

Made it!

Well I made it! A missed flight and missing luggage but here in one piece. I had 6 people greet me at the airport..that was kind of neat, and they're all incredible. There's a guy from Wales who has been here a week and has one week left, a woman from Germany and the rest are all from various parts of Africa. We're in town still, waiting on my luggage (pray that it comes in today!!) and the weather is beautiful. The town is gorgeous and it's very similar to what we're used to. The scenery is different but the stores and restaurants are very comparable. The people that I've met so far are fantastic..we're already teasing each other like old friends. I will have the opportunity to do the Care & Compasssion ministry tomorrow so I'm very excited about that. We'll be going into the remote villages where there are people who are dying of AIDS, and we'll have the chance to spend time with them, pray with them (if they want) and hopefully make them feel cared for and loved. In this country, people who have AIDS are usually shunned and rejected from their family and friends so it's a lonely world for them...and because of the poverty here they don't have the opportunity to get treated at all...they are basically left alone to die. I'm very excited to see what God is going to do through me as well as teach me during the next 3 weeks. I don't know if it's a delayed reaction but other than feeling a little tired (and definitely wanting a shower and change of clothes) I'm feeling really good right now.
I'm going to end this here but I hope to have the opportunity to update it shortly.
God bless!

2 comments:

Smat said...

Dana!! Glad to hear that you made it all the way... well half way around the world! I do hope you get to journal often while being there cause I am excited to here what you are doing. I must say, it is weird for me to think that you are half way around the world typing this. I try to imagine what your facial expressions are and your surroundings as you update us on your adventure. I have NO IDEA what it is like there but hopefully through your heart and mind (and fingers) you can convey what it is you are experiencing!! Continuously be open to the Holy Spirit to lead and guide you... awesome things will happen and I know you are going to be a great impact!!
Keep us posted girl! Look forward to your return of course... :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Dana

Every trip has it's adventures and i have to laugh at how the little things (like losing your luggage)can either impact you negatively or not really effect you. i'm glad to hear that you are getting along well with the people who were there to meet you! i have thought about you often and regularily offer up 'little prayers' on your behalf trusting that God has His hand upon you!

I am excited to hear how your trip is going. It's great to read your updates!!!

Love you!
Liz